Savory Tomato Sauce Balsamico over Penne
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onions
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Crisco® Pure Olive Oil
- 1/2 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 (28 oz.) can crushed tomatoes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar or to taste
- 1/2 to 1 tablespoons minced fresh flat leaf parsley
- 8 ounces cooked penne or fusilli
- Freshly grated Romano or Parmesan cheese
- COOK onions in oil in 3-quart saucepan over medium heat until softened, stirring occasionally. Add garlic; cook 1 minute.
- STIR in crushed tomatoes. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Season with salt and pepper.
- COOK pasta in salted water according to package directions; drain. Stir balsamic vinegar and parsley into prepared sauce. Serve over pasta. Sprinkle with cheese if desired.
- Savory Tomato Sauce Balsamico with Meat: Add 1/2 pound lean ground pork or beef with the onions. Proceed with recipe as written.
Rated 3.5 out of 5 by 2 reviewers.
Rated 3 out of 5 by DKStraub Missing Spices This is a great start for a sauce. I like the balsamic edge but I feel that it needs Italian seasoning, sugar, salt, and pepper. Otherwise, it is a good recipe. Homemade sauce is always better. March 8, 2013
Rated 4 out of 5 by SarahParm Very Good As a pasta lover, this recipe really hit the spot. It is definitely worth the effort to make your own sauce. February 16, 2013
1-2 of 2