Black-Eyed Pea Salsa with Cheddar Cornbread Dippers
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Yield: 5 cups salsa, 48 dippers
- 1 (16 oz.) jar chunky salsa (mild, medium or hot)
- 2 (16 oz.) cans black-eyed peas, drained
- 1 (11 oz.) can Southwestern style or whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 4 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- Cornbread Dippers
- Crisco® Original No-Stick Cooking Spray
- 2 (6 oz.) packages Martha White® Buttermilk Cornbread & Muffin Mix
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- COMBINE all salsa ingredients into a large bowl. Cover and chill until serving time.
- HEAT oven to 450º F. Spray two 8x8-inch pans with no-stick cooking spray. Combine cornbread mix, eggs, and water in a large mixing bowl. Stir until blended. Stir in cheese and red pepper flakes.
- DIVIDE batter between pans. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven. Turn out onto cooling rack. Cool completely.
- REDUCE oven temperature to 350º F. Cut each cornbread into 1/2-inch thick slices with serrated knife. Cut each slice in half crosswise. Place in single layer on large baking sheet. Bake 10 minutes. Turn and bake 8 to 10 minutes longer or until crisp and golden brown. Serve with chilled salsa.