Prep Time: 20 minutes
Yield: 2 loaves
- 1 cup Martha White® Plain Enriched Yellow Corn Meal
- 1/3 cup Crisco® All-Vegetable Shortening
- or 1/3 stick Crisco® Baking Sticks All-Vegetable Shortening
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water 110 to 115°F
- 6 to 7 cups Pillsbury BEST® All Purpose Flour
- Crisco® Original No-Stick Cooking Spray
- COMBINE corn meal, shortening, molasses and salt in large bowl. Stir in boiling water. Let cool to lukewarm. Sprinkle yeast over warm water; let stand until softened.
- ADD 1 cup flour to shortening mixture; whisk until very smooth. Mix in softened yeast. Add about half of remaining flour and beat until very smooth. Mix in enough remaining flour to make a soft dough.
- TURN dough onto a lightly floured surface. Cover; let rest 10 minutes. Knead dough until smooth and elastic.
- SPRAY a deep bowl with no-stick cooking spray. Add dough to bowl; turning to coat surface. Cover; let rise in a warm place until double in size, about 1 hour.
- PUNCH down dough; divide in half. Shape into 2 loaves. Spray two 9 x 5 x 3-inch loaf pans with no-stick cooking spray. Place one loaf in each pan. Cover; let rise again until double in size, about 1 hour.
- HEAT oven to 375ºF. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until bread is brown and sounds hollow when tapped. Remove from pans to cool on racks.
Rated 4.9 out of 5 by 8 reviewers.
Rated 5 out of 5 by millie0312 Good I like this recipe and would make it again. It was pretty easy to make and tasted really good. March 24, 2013
Rated 5 out of 5 by jopb Molasses bread Tasty bread that is easy to prepare and has taste of molasses in it. March 9, 2013
Rated 5 out of 5 by DKStraub Good Recipe The molasses added a wonderful flavor. I prefer a touch of sweetness to most things. Fresh, warm bread is so good. February 11, 2013
Rated 5 out of 5 by trinkits Terrific! we loved it! breads are easy to make and this was delicious! February 7, 2013
Rated 5 out of 5 by catgoddess yum eat it warm, with REAL butter on it....DEE-licious!! December 31, 2012
Rated 4 out of 5 by DarBart wonderful flavor This is one of my favorite breads to make and eat. This recipe has great flavor and is easy to make. enjoy December 30, 2012
1-7 of 7