Bacon, Apple and Pear Salad with Warm Spiced Cider Vinaigrette
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
- 3 tablespoons butter softened
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper divided
- 4 slices whole wheat bread crusts removed
- 1/4 cup Crisco® Pure Canola Oil
- 2 shallots chopped
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup apple cider
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 (10 oz.) bag European blend salad greens
- 1 red pear cored and thinly sliced
- 1 Granny Smith apple, cored and thinly sliced
- 4 slices crisp cooked bacon crumbled
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts lightly toasted*
- 1/4 cup crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
- BLEND together softened butter with sugar, 1 teaspoon of the ground cinnamon and 1/4 teaspoon of the ground red pepper; spread mixture over bread slices. Toast bread in oven on both sides until crisp; cool. Cut each slice of bread into quarters; reserve.
- HEAT oil in skillet over medium-low heat. Add shallots; sauté until softened, about 3 to 4 minutes. Add raisins, apple cider, vinegar, remaining 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon and remaining 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper. Season with salt and paper as desired, stirring until hot and well blended. Remove from heat.
- TOSS salad greens, pear and apple slices in large salad bowl. Stir warm vinaigrette mixture before adding to salad; toss salad. Divide mixture equally among 4 plates. Sprinkle with crumbled bacon, walnuts and cheese. Serve immediately with reserved croutons.
- *To toast walnuts: Place walnuts in dry nonstick skillet; cook over medium heat, shaking pan until nuts are lightly browned.
Rated 5 out of 5 by 3 reviewers.
Rated 5 out of 5 by dgabe Bacon, Apple and Pear Salad with Warm Spiced Cider Vinaigrette A very tasty recipe. The recipe was easy to follow. I love bacon, apple and pear which this recipe has all 3. The spiced cider vinaigrette topped it all off. March 25, 2013
Rated 5 out of 5 by littlemama Amazing! This salad was sooo good and beautiful and easy to prepare! Wow your guests with hardly no effort :) I will be making this again January 23, 2013
Rated 5 out of 5 by jolucky1 Wonderful Winter Time Salad I just loved this salad in the middle of winter. It brings a mouth full of spring in! Having the taste and crunch of Bacon with the Apple and Pear is tasty. Go light on the ?Spiced Cider Vinaigrette....better that way! January 18, 2013
1-3 of 3