Caramelized Onion Crostini
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Yield: 12 servings
- 1 French baguette or Italian bread
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1/4 cup Crisco® Pure Olive Oil
- CARAMELIZED ONIONS
- 3 tablespoons Crisco® Pure Olive Oil
- 1 pound red onions thinly sliced (4 cups)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- Salt and pepper to taste
- SLICE bread into thin slices. Combine chopped garlic and oil in small bowl. Let stand 20 to 30 minutes while cooking onions.
- HEAT oil in a 12-inch heavy skillet over medium heat. Cook onions in oil, stirring frequently, until deep golden, about 15 minutes.
- REMOVE from heat; stir in vinegar and fennel seeds. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- HEAT oven to 400°F. Brush one side of each slice lightly with garlic oil. Bake until crisp.
- TOP each crostini slice with caramelized onions.