Classic Cornbread Dressing with Country Ham and Dried Fruit
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Yield: 10 to 12 servings
- Crisco® Original No-Stick Cooking Spray
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/3 cups milk
- 1/4 cup Crisco® Pure Vegetable Oil
- 2 cups Martha White® Self-Rising Enriched White Corn Meal Mix
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- Crumbled cornbread from above about 6 cups
- 4 cups dry bread cubes or crumbled tasted biscuits
- 1 cup chopped cooked country ham
- 1 cup raisins dried sweetened cranberries or chopped apricots
- 2 teaspoons dried sage leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups chicken broth
- HEAT oven to 450°F. Spray 10 1/2-inch cast iron skillet with no-stick cooking spray. Place in oven to heat. Beat egg in large bowl. Add remaining cornbread ingredients; mix well. Pour into hot skillet.
- BAKE 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown and center is firm. Cool cornbread; crumble and set aside. Reduce heat to 375°F.
- SPRAY 13 x 9-inch baking dish or pan with no-stick cooking spray. Melt butter in large skillet over medium heat. Add onions and celery; cook and stir until vegetables are tender.
- COMBINE vegetable mixture, crumbled cornbread and remaining ingredients in large bowl; toss gently to mix. Spoon into prepared baking dish. Bake 40 to 45 minutes or until golden brown.