Fresh-From-the-Garden Eggplant and Zucchini Lasagna
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 6 to 9 entree servings
- Crisco® Original No-Stick Cooking Spray
- 2 medium zucchini (about 1 1/4 pounds) each cut lengthwise into 6 slices
- 2 medium eggplants (about 2 1/4 pounds) peeled and each cut lengthwise into 8 slices
- 7 tablespoons Crisco® Pure Olive Oil divided
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (26 oz.) jar chunky pasta or marinara sauce
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil leaves divided
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1 (15 oz.) container ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Romano or Parmesan cheese
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 (8 oz.) package shredded mozzarella cheese (2 cups)
- 1 (5 oz.) package cheese and garlic croutons crushed
- HEAT oven to 425°F. Coat two 15 x 10 x 1-inch baking pans with no-stick cooking spray. Arrange the zucchini and eggplant on baking sheets, overlapping edges, as necessary. Brush tops with 1/4 cup olive oil; season with salt and pepper. Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until fork tender. Remove from oven. Reduce oven temperature to 375°F.
- COOK onion and garlic in 1 tablespoon olive oil in large skillet over medium-low heat until tender. Stir in pasta sauce, 3 tablespoons basil and Italian seasoning. Remove from heat.
- MIX ricotta cheese, Romano cheese and egg in medium bowl until blended.
- COAT a 13 x 9-inch baking dish with no-stick cooking spray. Layer half of eggplant in baking dish. Top with half of ricotta cheese mixture, half of zucchini, 1 1/2 cups pasta sauce mixture and 1 cup mozzarella cheese. Top with remaining eggplant, ricotta mixture, zucchini and pasta sauce mixture.
- BAKE 30 to 35 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Remove from oven. Combine crushed croutons and remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil. Toss to coat. Stir in remaining 1 cup mozzarella cheese. Sprinkle evenly over top. Bake an additional 5 to 10 minutes, until cheese is melted and croutons are lightly toasted. Remove from oven; let stand 15 minutes before serving. Sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon basil just before serving.
Rated 5 out of 5 by 4 reviewers.
Rated 5 out of 5 by DKStraub Delicious The Eggplant and Zucchini Lasagna is fantastic. It is savory and filling. The freshness and flavor is unbeatable. I love the cheese. March 22, 2013
Rated 5 out of 5 by maremo good A good receipe for getting all those veggies in for the day! March 17, 2013
Rated 5 out of 5 by kdilb So good Tastes great as is but have also made it with just zucchini. Precise measuring was not required. January 29, 2013
Rated 5 out of 5 by BusyBee Family favorite I have made this several times. My family are always excited when they find out its for dinner. Very nice vegetarian lasagna that even meat lovers would enjoy. January 14, 2013
1-4 of 4