Classic Lemon Meringue Pie
Prep Time: 45 minutes
Yield: 8 servings
- Single Crust Classic Crisco Pie Crust
- 1/2 cup sugar divided
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 large egg whites
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 6 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 3 large egg yolks beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- HEAT oven to 425°F. Prepare single pie crust according to recipe directions, using a 9-inch pie plate. Thoroughly prick bottom and sides with fork to prevent shrinking.
- BAKE 16 to 20 minutes or until edges and bottom are golden brown.
- MERINGUE - STEP 1
- COMBINE 2 tablespoons sugar, 1 tablespoon cornstarch and water in small saucepan. Stir until cornstarch dissolves. Cook and stir on medium heat until mixture is clear. Cool while preparing filling. Heat oven to 350°F.
- COMBINE 1 1/2 cups sugar, 6 tablespoons cornstarch and salt in medium saucepan. Gradually add water, stirring constantly. Cook and stir on medium heat until mixture comes to a boil. Cook and stir constantly 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- ADD about one third of hot mixture slowly to egg yolks. Mix well. Return mixture to saucepan. Bring to a boil on medium heat. Cook and stir 1 minute. Remove from heat. Stir in butter and lemon peel. Add lemon juice slowly. Mix well. Spoon into baked pie crust.
- MERINGUE - STEP 2
- BEAT egg whites and vanilla in medium bowl with electric mixer at high speed until soft peaks form. Beat in remaining 6 tablespoons sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time. Beat well after each addition.
- ADD cooled cornstarch mixture gradually and continue beating until stiff peaks form. Spread over lemon filling, covering completely and sealing to edge of crust.
- BAKE 15 to 20 minutes or until meringue is golden. Cool. Refrigerate.
Rated 4.5 out of 5 by 2 reviewers.
Rated 5 out of 5 by Leenie45 This recipe is wonderful. I have made this recipe for years and it is one of my family's favorites. April 7, 2013
Rated 4 out of 5 by Dido Something different and interesting~Taste good I baked this pie and sent it to my Dad, he said it was very good. Different having cooked cornstarch in the meringue but it taste good. Did not make such pretty fluffy points like regular however. I will make another for myself soon:) November 5, 2011
1-2 of 2